2011-10-26

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

Everytime I (Dave) find myself in a new country, I say to myself "Wow, this place has got to be my favourite country I've visited so far." Well it's happened again.

To get back on a route that makes sense, and to see most of what we want to see, we had to catch a plane to Spain. Gregg found us a cheap flight from Zurich to Alicante, and we pounced on it.

We hadn't really planned on making it this far South in Spain, but I'm glad it happened. A few days ago we were stomping around the snowy Alps, and today we went swimming in the Mediterranean.

There's not much English, but we can usually decipher signs and the people we've met have all been patient. This morning we remembered the Spanish word for 'breakfast' (desayuno, I think) and ended up drinking the best orange juice we'd ever had. No problem.

This place is the most affordable place we've hit. Tonight we'll be sitting on the rooftop terrace of our hostel for a few hours, sipping on unlimited Sangria for the price of three euros each. Then the hostel owner will bring whoever wants to come (which will most definitely include us) to a local bar that will serve us unlimited sangria and beer until the night is over. For five bucks.

We'd love to stay here forever, but there's a storm a brewin'. It only rains here something like 15 times a year, but three of those days will be this week. Our plan is to retreat along the coast. We're hopping a bus tomorrow morning, and hope to land in Almeria sometime in the afternoon. It's another beach town, so I look forward to frightening more Spaniards with my god-awful farmer's tan.

I should mention, the photo displayed was taken on top of the giant fortress that looks over Alicante, known as Castillo de Santa Barbera. Beside Sarah, in the distance, you can spot the local bull fighting stadium.

I missed siesta today, so time for a late one. Until next time!

1 comment: