2011-10-08

Rain in Belgium

It's our first full day in Belgium and it is a rainy one. Our original plan was to stay in Bruges and didn't decide to stay in Brussels until we got here. We booked a room at the Manhatten Hotel and it's my favourite place we've stayed so far. Not only do we have a private room after a 3 night stay in 20 bed dorm, but it has a baclony, bathtub and television! We have only ever had a TV in one place we stayed. It was our first night in Cologne and there was one English, news channel. This time there are four glorious English channels, all BBC and two of them are still news but it's been fantastic to lay in bed watching TV while it's raining. The first two weeks of our trip was nothing but sun. All of Europe experienced temperatures 12-15 degrees above average and the sky was blue and sunny every day. Then a couple days ago it started to get cloudy and rainy, which mixed with the lack of sleep I got in Amsterdam, has me feeling a little sick. Mainly just a headache with a bit of a stuffy nose, but still a nice excuse to relax in a hotel room while it's raining.

Hopefully it does stop raining this afternoon. We are only here two nights before heading to Paris so I'd like to get out and explore. People speak French here, which has been a fantastic change of pace for Dave and I. The language still sounds a bit foreign, but we can at least understand when people are speaking to us. The food here smells amazing. Europe in general smells delicious, and most of our money has gone to food. I keep eating then waiting to be hungry so I can eat again. I still haven't had a Belgium waffle though. The breakfast this morning was a little disappointing. It seems like whenever we've had included breakfast at a hotel, it's mainly a variaty of meat and cheese with buns and bread. This morning for breakfast, I had a salami sandwich and it was 8am. Far from the delicious waffels I expected.

This entry has taken me far too long to write. French keyboards are even more confusing than German ones. I am suddenly taken back to the third grade when I first started having to write papers on the computer. I am constantly staring at the keyboard and excessivly using the backspace button. I think I have to go find some waffles after all this waffle talk. My salmami sandwhich has worn off and it's time to eat again.

Goodbye all!

Love Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment